Thursday, September 13, 2007

It's a bird, it's a plane, no wait.... it's a post.

And a proper one at that :) It's 1am, I have to work in the morning, but I'm posting anyway. By doing stuff late at night I feel I've better utilised my day, and will strangely probably sleep better, maybe not so strange, It's a good way to unwind. Anyway let's start with another bee photo, this one in my own back yard, which actually reminds me that there were three bees in my house the other day... not sure how they got in, but it took me a while to figure out the buzzing wasn't coming from my speakers, but rather a bunch of bees. There's also a redback at the ceiling of my lounge, but he's probably not going to come down so that's cool, I'll leave her there a couple days, she can kill the god damn crickets that have been sneaking in.. but then she'll have to die too, I don't want no red back on my toilet seat :) Anyway.. bee photo...



I'm doing a Masters in Engineering Geology over in Sydney, which means I have to fly over every now and again for some short courses. Actually got out to the city last trip for a decent look around. I took some obligatory shots of the opera house and harbour bridge... even walked across the bridge and around Luna Park. While wandering through the city I came across this...



A closer look...



Yep, that's right, a mere week and a bit before APEC some mischievous people put dishwashing liquid in a fountain.



Sadly they didn't use a decent and more bubbly brand/product so it didn't seem to bubble too much... made for a decent photo though :)



Sadly I didn't have a taller tripod with me but no matter. The small one did still allow me to get a decent night panorama, the stitching of which is a partial cause to me starting this post so late. A slightly less common Sydney shot (not that there was any shortage of people around taking night shots of the opera house and bridge. click for a bigger pic).



The Lunar eclipse (red moon) happened while I was over east, but I didn't get any decent shots for two reasons, one I didn't take a decent tripod this trip, and two, I hadn't charged my camera battery and it was flashing the low battery warning after the first couple shots... Doh!



Once back in Perth I finally bit the bullet and bought a new wetsuit (the old one was uncomfortably too small) so I could start surfing (bodyboarding) again. There was a decent swell, and apart from a couple excruciating calf cramps it was good. This was two weekends ago, and I went last weekend as well. I might even go this weekend if the winds are right. I took a couple photos after I got out of the water and got into some dry clothes. It was quite crowded by this stage.



But there were still decent waves to be had.



So that sort of brings things up to date. I go away Monday to start mapping of a 500k rail route so don't expect a post more than once a fortnight, but hopefully the trip will yield some decent photos :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Northern musings said...

Hey Valdi,
so where do you stay when you are in Sydney? God I hated that place sooo much, all surface pretty... which explains the great shots that you got while you were there. If you want to go to a really really dodgy pub, check out the corner hotel in Five Dock.. There was a drive by shooting there the week before I moved into my flat around the corner...

9/18/2007 12:11:00 am  
Blogger Valdi said...

I stay down near the uni in randwick. Last couple times I was there I stayed at the High Cross Park Lodge, which is next door to the Royal hotel. I hated Sydney the first time I went there, which was summer, but didn't mind it so much last two trips, cause it was winter. I don't really like Sydney as a far as people are concerned, the people and summer climate there really don't do it for me. Otherwise it's quite nice.

9/18/2007 05:27:00 pm  
Blogger Maja said...

Great photo of the bridge and the opera house in Sydney. I've been to Sydney twice and never been to the opera house. Isn't dat veird? hehe

9/19/2007 11:49:00 am  
Blogger Valdi said...

dat is veird. I figured I had to go see them... even if only to take pretty pictures :)

9/29/2007 06:46:00 am  
Blogger Maja said...

How bouts another post, bro?

10/25/2007 02:00:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home